Friday, September 15, 2006

The glamorous life of a traveling writer

SALT LAKE CITY - I ask UC Davis athletic director Greg Warzecka about football scheduling pretty much every time I see him. And every time he says that he wants to play long-term series with Northern Colorado, Portland State and Weber State. He likes that they are good football programs (punter-on-punter crime notwithstanding) and loves that they are situated near airports you can reach directly from Sacramento. Today, I understand him perfectly.

That's because I'm well into my fifth hour of delay here in Salt Lake City. My connecting flight to Montana was cancelled due to the ominous "maintenance reasons." This is a problem because there aren't that many of those flights to begin with. So at this point, it's likely that I won't be on the ground in Montana until after 10:45 tonight.

That will mean about 12 hours in this airport when it's all over, unless a standby reservation comes through on an earlier flight. Salt Lake is not bad as far as terminals go. But I've already eaten (thank you, Delta Airlines food voucher!), read the Salt Lake Tribune cover-to-cover (thank you, Enterprise alum Michael Anastasi!) and finished a story and this blog posting (thank you, say my bosses, sarcastically). So I'm running out of things to do.

This concludes the whining portion of this post.

The important piece of news in all of this is that the Aggies are chartering to Montana State, so they should be able to complete the usual road-game routine of late-afternoon walkthrough followed by the team meal. Pending Internet access (and the whims of the airlines), I'll attempt to post a scene setter from Bobcat Stadium tomorrow morning and an update around halftime.

No comments: