Monday, October 1, 2007

Saturday wasn't really an audition for the WAC

San Jose State announced its two-game contract with UC Davis back in 2004, when there were legitimate questions about the whether the program would survive in its current form. In fact, the Spartans announced multiple two-game contracts with I-AA schools them (Cal Poly was one of the others, I believe). I remember wondering if the Aggies would be welcoming San Jose State into the Great West and the Big West any time soon. For what it's worth, I think both leagues would jump at that opportunity. But SJSU's program appears healthy enough not to have to face that decision any time soon.

It's more likely now, that SJSU will one day welcome the Aggies in the WAC. Just don't expect that to happen any time soon.

For one thing, the NCAA has a moratorium on teams moving to Division I or between football subdivisions in place until 2011. For another, most people in the UCD department are still exhausted from all the heavy lifting it took to get to Division I. Also, everyone on campus seems to like the Big West. The central administration likes that the UC campuses involved win Nobel Prizes. And the athletic department likes that Big West offers 17 sports, which is good for most of its teams. I would offer this: If UCD could only attract 7,200 people for Northeastern, what makes anyone think it could do any better for Louisiana Tech?

But with plans in place to eventually have a 30,000-seat football stadium, it's hard to think Bowl Subdivision Football (formerly I-A) hasn't crossed someone's mind.

No comments: