Friday, January 4, 2008

Bakersfield to the Big West? Hmmm.

There was a healthy media contingent at Rabobank Arena on Wednesday night, all of them very curious to ask UC Davis coach Gary Stewart and some Aggie players how their Roadrunners stacked up as members of Division I. I'm sure those media membes are finding, as I did over past four years, that the move offers no end of easy stories to do about perceived milestones. Playing a couple of ex-CCAA foes over past couple days -- the Aggies and Riverside -- qualifies.

It seems that things are progressing reasonably well at Bakersfield. My belief is that anyone who makes this move without a conference lined up is setting itself up for an extemely difficult transition. CSUB wants to join the Big West, a move I previously thought was all wrong for the league. After my trip, I have relented somewhat. From my narrow perspective, the Roadrunner program probably would have something to offer the league. For one thing, Bakersfield is more of a distinct media market than I gave it credit for. It even can charge a rights fee to broadcast its home basketball games. And for another, Rabobank would immediately rival Spanos Center for best basketball arena in the league (losing out, I think because it is not on campus). I admit I don't know much about the school's academics or campus. CSUB would bring the league to 10 schools and give Northridge an obvious travel partner.

That said, I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the Big West to bring in another newly reclassified program. People will start to talk. Also, the balance of CSUs and UCs is currently a perfect 4 and 4 and CSUB is much smaller than the other public schools. Private Pacific is the odd program right now, and maybe another private school would be a better fit. There are a fair number of those around California, although most already have conferences.

No comments: