Saturday, October 18, 2008

Farewell, Davis

Sadly, this will be my last post with The Davis Enterprise.

On Thursday, I was informed that the sports editor position was eliminated for budgetary reasons and my services were no longer needed. How can a newspaper survive without a sports editor? Well, you'll have to ask The Enterprise about that one.

Despite the way things ended, I enjoyed my four years in Davis. It was quite a culture change from conservative, rural Marysville (where I worked last) but I adapted eventually.

I will miss the relationships I formed with several individuals, both at UC Davis and Davis High School. It was always a pleasure coordinating our football preview cover with Aggie coach Bob Biggs. No matter how strange the cover sounded originally, he always humored us.

I will miss talking with Davis High coaches like Paul Ochs, Bill Gregg, Dan Gazzaniga and Leigh Whitmire as well. They always seemed to make my job easier and I was floored by the dedication to their sports.

It was a challenge adapting to UC Davis' transition to Division I, but I think our sports writers did an incredible job. We've tried to expand coverage of sports like men's soccer and baseball in the past two years as those programs gained national attention.

My fondest memory reporting on a game came in June when the baseball team played the Cardinal at the Stanford regional. I can still feel the noise from the big Davis crowd as it hung on every Eddie Gamboa pitch in the ninth inning.

As for me, I will bounce back. Maybe I will see Lane Kiffin on the unemployment line.

Thanks for the memories, Davis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Thanks for everything you have done for Aggie athletics. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. The Enterprise sure is making a mistake by letting you go.

Brett

Anonymous said...

Matt, you've done a great job, and it's a real shame they're letting you go. With the industry going through such hard times, few things surprise me, but this does.

Best of luck on finding your future destination. You will be missed.