Monday, October 9, 2006

The traveling road show


We'll be dissecting the Aggies here in the next day or two, but Saturday's game brought to a close the longest road stretch in the history of the program. Hopefully you've been following the team's exploits in the daily paper. What follows are the exploits of your humble beat writer, after what has been a long six weeks.

Best atmosphere: Not surprisingly, it was Cal Poly on Saturday. The students were in rare form. On the field for the final five minutes, it was incredible to watch them in section behind the Aggie end zone jumping up and down as one. It was like watching the waves lap up against the beach over in Morro Bay.

Latest I-AA insight: There is nothing at all small time about the atmosphere at some I-AA venues. I'm thinking especially of Montana State and Youngstown State, where the game presentation, fan passion and facilities are top-notch. You'd expect that in Montana, where the Bobcats and Montana Grizzlies play the highest level football in the state. But Youngstown was a surprise. I sort of figured it would be a slightly larger scale version of UC Davis -- a large school located in the sphere of influence of so many major colleges (Ohio St., Penn St., etc.) that the I-AA game just would get lost. But it's not like that. I couldn't tell if it was a case of football's place in the fabric of Ohio; or if it's because the program resolutely insists that it's not small time. And it's probably a mix of both.

Best press box meals: Tie (TCU and Youngstown State). I expected a good spread at TCU, what with being a I-A program in Texas and I was not disappointed. It was a Mexican feast from an area restaurant, with great barbecued meat. Two weeks later in Youngstown, the spread was simply incredible. It had everything from pizza to sandwiches to chicken wings to pastries. I ate way too much.

Worst press box: This gives me no joy, because I really like the people down there, but it is Cal Poly in a rout. Nothing else is even close The renovated facilities (which include a new press box) can't open soon enough. Saturday was especially difficult because the media relations staff down there had to accomodate four separate radio broadcasts. And without high-speed Internet, there was just one phone line available for the entire press corps to use during the game. I spent the whole third quarter trying to use the only available dial-up line to send the photos that appeared in Sunday's edition. That meant I missed a lot of the action when the fans in front of me stood up, because my laptop was perched preciously on a bench. Let's just say that I look forward to the future down in SLO.

Best restaurant meal: Tomato Soup and Steak at 4B's in Butte, Mont. This restaurant was recommended to me by a bunch of Butte-natives on my long connection from Salt Lake to Big Sky Country. And they didn't steer me wrong. The soup is great, both creamy and garlicky. It wasn't all that cold by Montana standards, but you can just imagine it sticking to your ribs when it's 20 below. It was so good, I went back the second night, bypassing the chance to eat in the more cosmopolitan Bozeman. Plus the combo is only $9. Can't beat that.

Favorite trip: From a tourist point-of-view, and even with the nine-hour stop in Salt Lake, it had to be Montana State. I had never visited the state, but was just awed by the natural beauty of the state. From a business travelers point-of-view, it had to be Northern Colorado, because I was able to get home Saturday night. Always a major plus.

Best coverage innovation: The Great West Football Conference teleconference, which has allowed us to start doing a weekly notebook. We're hoping that gives you as readers an insight into the conference and national I-AA scene.

Best tailgating accessory: The satellite dish. Plenty of people in the parking lots at TCU and Youngstown had them. TCU fans were quite interested in the Texas-Ohio State game going on at the same time. There were fewer of those at YSU, although they were quite interested in another Ohio State game, the one against Penn State.

Worst airport: Without a doubt, Las Vegas (layover on the way back from Northern Colorado). It reeks of stale cigarette smoke and the food options appear to be Taco Bell and Taco Bell. I dread that airport.

Worst hotel room: The Comfort Inn Pittsburgh Airport. There were thin walls, so I could hear everything that was going on in the room next door. Everything.

No comments: